An arcing beam of accelerated nuclei.
Arc is a weapon exclusive to the Merlin, Old Faithful and the Shieldmaiden. While in use, Arc weapons generally lock on to a single enemy (or destructible obstacle) and pummel it with streams of homing bullets.
Arc weapons must acquire a lock-on on a target before they will begin to fire bullets. Three weapon properties control the lock-on characteristics of a given Arc weapon: Acquisition Range, Acquisition Angle, and Tracking Range.
- Acquisition Range, affected by Range modifiers, is the maximum distance at which an Arc weapon can establish a lock-on. Specified internally using "guaranteedHitMinRange."
- Acquisition Angle is the angle within which an Arc weapon can establish a lock-on. Computed by calculating ("guaranteedHitArcB" - "guranteedHitArcA").
- Tracking Range, affected by Range modifiers, is the maximum distance at which an Arc weapon can maintain an already-established lock-on. Specified internally using "guaranteedHitMaxRange."
While the Fire input is held down and there is no active lock-on target, the equipped Arc weapon will look for an enemy or obstacle within the region around the user specified by the weapon's Acquisition Range and Angle properties and the user's current aim direction. In the general case of multiple valid targets being found within this region, the weapon will prioritize targets which are close to the user and/or in their general aim direction. To assist the player in target acquisition, all Arc weapons display a crosshair offset 3 units forward of the default bullet origin point --- this crosshair is not influenced by active Range modifiers.
Once the equipped Arc weapon has found a target and established a lock-on, its bullets will home in on the target, despawning upon reaching the target's center, until this lock-on is broken. An existing lock-on persists through weapon reloads, but can be broken due to one of three reasons:
- The user released the Fire input, breaking all of the Arc weapon's current lock-ons.
- The distance to the target exceeded the weapon's Tracking Range, breaking the current lock-on on that target.
- The target stopped existing (usually due to being destroyed by incoming damage), breaking the current lock-on on that target and preventing another lock-on from being established.
|Skill Tier||Pilot Rank||Option A||Option B|
At First Sight
- Arc 1-A halves the clip size of Arcs.
- Arc 2-A greatly reduces Steam regeneration for 5 seconds after a kill while wielding an Arc weapon.
- Arc 3-A significantly increase the clip size of Arcs while not superspeeding.
All standard Arc weapons operate using a base Acquisition Range of 4.2 units, an Acquisition Angle of 60°, and a base Tracking Range of 6.75 units.
|Tier 0||Science Fair Arc||2||2||14||8||42 (43)||2|
|Tier 1||Student Arc||2||3.1||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 2||Major Arc||2||4.2||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 3||Apprentice Arc||2||5.2||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 4||Master Arc||2||6.2||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 5||Professor's Arc||2||7||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 6||Science Arc||2||7.7||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 7||Mad Science Arc||3||5.6||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 8||Tenured Arc||3||4.4 + 1.5 Lightning||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 9||Arc de Chair||3||4.7 + 1.6 Poison||14||8||48 (49)||2|
|Tier 10||Arc Emeritus||4||3.7 + 1.2 Fire||14||8||48 (49)||2|