- 1 How do I get stars next to my name?
- 2 How do I sell stuff?
- 3 How do I use my abilities?
- 4 How do I get back to Rebel City?
- 5 How do I teleport to other players?
- 6 How do I friend someone?
- 7 How do I announce that I’m at a boss?
- 8 What is Recycling?
- 9 Where do I find X ingredient?
- 10 How do I trade?
- 11 How do I earn Gold?
- 12 Is this game Pay2Win?
- 13 How do the Elements work?
- 14 What do I do if I lag during Meowza/other boss fights?
- 15 What is the best class?
- 16 What do I do after Level 20?
How do I get stars next to my name?
Earn stars by gaining experience and increasing your Pilot Level. Stars are attained at the following levels:
- 5 – Bronze Star
- 20 – Bronze Star with border
- 76 – Silver Star
- 146 – Gold Star
- 196 – Golden Bird Insignia
Stars do not give any direct benefits, although the higher your rank, the more likely you will be chosen as a Squad Leader during Missions.
How do I sell stuff?
There is no traditional selling in Steambirds. You either recycle items you don’t want, or you can trade items to other players.
How do I use my abilities?
All aircraft have 2 abilities that require Steam to be used. First is the Maneuver, a movement ability activated by pressing E. The second is the Secondary Ability, which can buff, shield or heal yourself and other players depending on the ability, activated by pressing F. In addition, all aircraft have 2 slots for Primary Weapons. Swap to your secondary weapon by pressing Q.
Secondary Abilities and Maneuvers are disabled while in Rebel City as part of anti-lag measures.
How do I get back to Rebel City?
Hitting Backspace will teleport your plane at any time back to Rebel City after a 3-second delay. Consider rebinding it to a more convenient key to quickly avoid situations you aren’t prepared for.
How do I teleport to other players?
There are multiple ways to teleport. You can type /teleport name, or you can hit Tab, find the person under Nearby Allies and select Teleport. You can also open Chat using Enter, click on the person's name and choose Teleport. Hit C when in a squad to instantly teleport to your squad leader if you're too far away.
How do I friend someone?
You can add someone as a friend by typing /friend name, or by hitting Tab, finding the person under Nearby Allies, and selecting Add Friend. If someone pings their location in the Island, you can open up chat and click on their name to quickly add them as a friend. This is particularly useful for player names in other languages. There is no limit to how many friends you can have, and the other person doesn't need to add you as a friend for you to friend them.
How do I announce that I’m at a boss?
Hit Y to ping your location. If you are not near any enemies or objectives, this will result in the message, “Rally to me!”, inviting other players to teleport to you. If you are near an enemy, boss or quest location, the ping will change accordingly, resulting in “At Ambassador!”, “At Coin Cache!”, etc.
What is Recycling?
Recycling destroys any item and gives you Scrap in return, which allows you to Reforge items if they are damaged, or Supercharge them to give them extra benefits. The Recycle key, ` (below ESC), automatically destroys every item that is T8 or below. T9 and higher items need to be manually recycled by left-clicking and choosing Recycle. If there is a T8 or lower item you don’t want to automatically recycle, you can Favorite the item by left-clicking and choosing Favorite.
Where do I find X ingredient?
Hit V to open your Inventory, then click on Crafting Ingredients near the bottom. Each ingredient's description states where it drops.
How do I trade?
You can trade with other players by either typing /trade playername, or by hitting Tab, finding the person under Nearby Allies, and selecting Trade. If you initiate a trade, you need to hold still and wait for the other person to come to you. If you move you will cancel the trade. If someone else initiates a trade with you, you can trade with them regardless of distance by typing /trade in response.
How do I earn Gold?
Gold can be purchased with real money from the Store in Rebel City, or it can be acquired from other players through item trading.
Is this game Pay2Win?
No. You may purchase additional hangar slots, skill loadouts and storage space with Gold from the in-game Store, but none of these give any advantage in combat. Even pure F2P players can acquire an additional Hangar Slot and 12 extra Storage slots just by leveling up, as well as earn Gold by trading items.
How do the Elements work?
See the Elements page for more info.
What do I do if I lag during Meowza/other boss fights?
Assuming it’s not server lag, try turning off Shadows in the Graphics menu for a significant boost to FPS without impacting the game’s quality too much.
What is the best class?
The non-competitive nature of SBA means you are free to play whatever class you enjoy most. Every class is capable of dealing enough damage to earn loot from any boss, so you are encouraged to try every class at least once, and play the one that fits you best.
What do I do after Level 20?
- Get full T8 equipment from high-level Mission rewards, upgrading your gear using Copper, or defeating bosses.
- Farm Island boss missions like Noble Politician, Ambassador and Doctor Notra for elemental defense upgrades until you max.
- Farm much harder Event bosses like Rei, Kai and Jinn for elemental damage upgrades until you max.
- Enter dungeons for a chance to obtain T9 or better gear. High level bosses have a small chance to drop T9 as well. Elemental dungeons drop corresponding elemental gear, and what weapons you want depends on your class and what you like to use.
- Rarer upgrades, like Barrel Dopant, Armor Stiffeners and Self-Repair Juice, as well as T10 gear drop most frequently from M1, 3 Brothers and M2, the hardest content in the game.
- Farm said content until your plane is max, and engage in a variety of missions to farm ingredients for upgrading your ELEM or SPEC weapons.
- Supercharge your equipment to get the best possible rolls.
- Don't crash ;)